Monday, January 5, 2009

Crutch

So, last night my family was planning to go out to dinner so that my new boyfriend could meet them. I made the plans with my brother, which apparently weren't good enough for my Mom.

We wanted to meet at 6. But that was too late for my Mom. She complained about how late that was and how there would be a long wait and for whatever reason she was concerned about getting home later than 7. (They were seated right away and there was no wait)

Then she was complaining because I wasn't going to be able to drive her to the restaurant because I was meeting at my boyfriend's and driving from there. She flipped. She is afraid to drive on the highway and kept saying something about not finding a parking spot. She's crazy. I told her that she would need to get over this fear since we won't always be there to drive her around and she was SO mad that I even suggested that. (Oh and by the way, my brother drove her and they found a spot up front, so no need to worry.)

When they (Mom, my brother and his girlfriend) got to the restaurant they were seated right away and they were waiting for us. They called once to tell us they were waiting and I lied and said that we were almost there when really we were still at his house. Another phone call came while we were in transit and it was an angry phone call. She was so mad and snippy. Real nice first impressions.

Once we got to the restaurant, I was really nervous (and upset). The dinner went fine but I'm still annoyed at how she acted.

People need to stop enabling her to be this way. So long as everyone drives her around, she will continue to be scared to drive on the highway. Mom needs to grow up. I don't understand how anyone could get through life with so many fears. My Dad always allowed her to be like that and now that he isn't here, I guess she expects everyone else to do it for her. I refuse to enable her.
Maybe I am a horrible person, maybe I am just mean but I refuse to be her crutch anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment